Saturday, September 20, 2014

Someday I'll get to see my horses again...

I meant to finally get settled into my school year schedule this week: start freelancing regularly during the mornings and early afternoons, and then get out to the barn more often in the evenings (since I'm with the kids after school).  I remember being excited on Monday because I had that whole lovely week ahead of me.

And then I got sick.

And unfortunately, when I say I got sick, I mean REALLY sick.  I am pretty sure I had the enterovirus that has everyone paranoid here in Denver, as it has been hospitalizing asthmatic kids for the past month or so.  I don't have and never had asthma, and I was having a hard time breathing, primarily when I tried to sleep lying down.  I had to devise a way of propping myself up so that I could sleep and still breathe.

It was a hell of a virus.  I was exposed to it Saturday night, and I knew I was exposed, but I thought I was careful enough that I'd get away with it.  But Monday night I started feeling like I was getting sick, and it only took about an hour before it hit me with full force.  I collapsed that night and slept pretty much the next 36 hours straight, waking up only to take medicine and ask the family I work for if I could take Tuesday off (the answer, obviously, was yes).

I probably should have taken Wednesday off too, but my employer asked me to work, and in any case I had a physical in the morning.  I probably should have skipped everything and slept another day, as I was like the walking dead that day.

Thursday I woke up feeling better, but it turned out to be only a short reprieve as my head cold turned into a chest cold.  Thursday night I developed a cough and discovered I couldn't lie down without it feeling like I had weights sitting on my lungs.  I hadn't been lying down much to sleep the past several nights because of the congestion, and now I still couldn't lie down to sleep.  So frustrating.

My employer gave me Friday off unexpectedly, so I took advantage of that and slept late to make up for what a hard time I had getting to sleep Thursday night.  I also got some better medicine yesterday, and slept much better last night.  I've been feeling much better today, and although I'm still coughing somewhat, it's at least a productive cough now.  And I can sleep lying down without it hurting or being hard to breathe, which is such a relief.

I feel like I lost an entire week of my life.  The weather has been hot and clear, and I keep seeing my horsey friends posting pictures of their horses and talking about their rides on Facebook.  I'm jealous!  I can't wait until I'm truly well enough to go see my boys.  (Even though I'm feeling better today, I know I'm not yet 100 percent, besides which I'm probably still contagious and don't want to be spreading this around to everyone.)

I miss my boys!  Hopefully I'll be able to get out and see them soon -- and finally settle into that school-year schedule I've been talking about!



At September 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Blogger Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I hope you are feeling better by now. I picked up some virus at the doctor's office. Go in healthy... come out sick. I also asked for whatever flu vaccination covers the majority of strains this year. I hope it actually works.

At October 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Blogger Katharine Swan said...

Oh, I never saw your comment! This is what happens when you get inundated by spam comment notifications. Anyway, it took about a week for the worst part of the cold to abate, but there has been a lingering cough that has been verrrrrrry sloooooooowly going away. Getting fatigued, eating certain foods, etc. still seems to trigger it, even nearly a month later.


Post a Comment

<< Home