Saturday, December 18, 2010


I've been sick for almost two weeks.  What I thought was a cold at first started out with an intense sore throat, quickly moved into the worst congestion I've ever experienced, and then finished up with a lingering, annoying cough that has been driving me up the wall for the past week.  As a result, I didn't go out to the barn at all the first week I was sick (heck, I spent most of the time in my "sick castle," either the couch or the bed with everything I needed — laptop, book, iPhone, medicine, water, etc. — within easy reach).  I did get out earlier this week to turn Panama out with his buddy Spaghetti for a playdate, and I've been out a couple of other times to put on or take off his blanket, but that was it.

So when I went out there today, I hadn't ridden in just over two weeks, since the last time I had a lesson.  (My trainer rode Panama last Friday instead of our normal lesson, and said that he did great.)  Panama has been pretty confused — I know he has been missing my usual lengthy visits and rides.  When I put him back in his corral after turning him out or blanketing him, he just stood at the gate, as if he were expecting something else.  Surely I wasn't really done with him!

Whether because of the inactivity (though I have turned him out a couple of times in the last week) or the anticipation, he was full of himself when I rode today, and unfortunately I did things in reverse order: I rode first, and turned him out second.  As a result, the entire time I rode, I was fighting with his pent-up energy.  He was obviously trying to still listen and follow my cues, but he was having a very hard time focusing, and I could feel him thrumming with energy underneath me.

It wasn't helping matters any that I'm not completely well yet — I'm still coughing and my sinuses are still draining, and within fifteen minutes I was drowning in snot.  So I found a positive note to stop on, took off the saddle and bridle, and did what I should have done to begin with — turned him out.

And ohboy did he need that!  Panama ran circles around me with his tail curled over his back, throwing up the occasional buck.  He ran at top speed with only minor encouragement from me.  Yep, he was definitely restless and overexcited to be doing something with me again, and probably frustrated by my wanting to take it easy (still being sick, and all).  After a nice run and a nice apple, I said goodbye for the day.  Tomorrow we'll go for another short ride.  We have a lot of lost time to make up for!



At December 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Blogger Sydney_bitless said...

They are all goofy right now. The weather is chilly and sometimes too wet to do anything with them other than freeze your butt off. Your lucky to have an indoor arena.

At December 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Blogger Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It's hard to enjoy riding when you are sick. You have to keep your pocket filled with tissues and hope your horses doesn't explode over the sound and feel of you clearing your sinuses.

At December 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Blogger Katharine Swan said...

Sydney, we actually were riding outside, as it was sunny and 40 degrees! We've had a very mild winter here so far, but yes, I do appreciate that indoor arena. :o)

NM, my pockets are always filled with tissues, and Panama is used to me stopping at least once or twice every ride to blow my nose. I have terrible sinuses and I'm allergic to my cats, so it's a constant thing, especially when I ride in the cold. Yesterday was worse than usual, though!


Post a Comment

<< Home