Wednesday, October 27, 2010

And now it's winter

I haven't blogged in a while because I haven't done much with Panama in a while.  Michael took last week off, and we ended up doing stuff together — non-barn stuff —  all week.

We did make it out to the barn on Friday to turn Panama out.  I turned him out in the arena with Daisy, and he tore around with his tail over his back while she just generally refused to run.  He is so funny when he wants to run and she doesn't — as soon as I start swinging the lead rope (which he knows means I want him to run), he starts biting her rump to encourage her forward.  He had tons of energy on Friday and there was lots of rump-biting going on, but she was more reluctant to run than usual.  Eventually he stopped trying and just ran laps around her.

I should have ridden last week while the weather was nice, though, because this week is an entirely different story.  A cold winter wind started up on Monday, and has blown all of our nice weather right out of the state.  Yesterday I was supposed to have a lesson, but when I got out to the barn, it was so windy that the indoor was making loud creaking noises.  All of the horses in the indoor barn (which is attached by a hallway) were acting kooky, and after watching one person try to lunge their bucking, farting horse in the indoor arena, I decided that a lesson was out of the question.

I did visit with Panama for a bit in his shelter, which he made it clear he was not leaving, under any circumstances.  He was definitely feeling insecure, as he immediately set to frantically licking my jacket, much as he did on the 4th of July. I let him for a bit, so long as he didn't bite (he tried a few times, and was scolded for it).  When I left I saw him standing behind Sassy, the older mare in the corral with him, licking and biting her butt right around her tail.  She didn't look terribly thrilled, but she was tolerating it.

Today is still windy but not quite as bad, so I am hoping to get out to the barn in a little bit.  I'll turn Panama out and maybe lunge him to determine his mood.  It has been nearly 2 weeks since I last rode, so if the wind is quieter and he seems okay with it, I may try to ride.

How is everyone else doing?  I've heard it is windy in most parts of the country right now.  What crazy weather!



At October 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been having the same crazy wind - about 40 mph with gusts to 50 - yesterday and all day today - at least it's sunny today!

At October 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Blogger Sydney_bitless said...

It's insanely windy. Yesterday I was in the barn and the wind started up so quick and within seconds it was a torrential downpour I couldn't even see the round pen. I waited it out with Indigo and by the time I was heading to another barn it had stopped. Today we had 60 KMPH winds again but not bad. Indigo was on her best behavior as she has been all summer and so I went out bareback in the crazy wind with stuff blowing all over the place.

How appropriate, my word verification is windi LOL!

At October 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Blogger Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I noticed that you disappeared from the Blogosphere for a while, so I checked to see if you had recent posts on your freelance site, and you did, which made me feel better. Long silences from horse women are not a good thing.

You know how horses get snowballs packed onto the bottoms of their hooves? Mine have mud balls.


Post a Comment

<< Home