Friday, April 9, 2010

Missing out

It has been a crazy week, and I'm sorry to say that I haven't ridden since we tooled around bareback on Easter.

Some of you may remember that I burned my hand two and a half weeks ago. Well, it seemed to be healing fine until a week or so ago, when I started getting hives where the burned skin had peeled off (like a sunburn). They got worse and worse, so I used a cream called Lanacane to try to stop the itching. I don't know if I had a reaction to it or what, but next thing I know my hand is turning red and swelling up like a grapefruit.

I've been falling asleep early all week, partly from the Benadryl I'm taking to stop the itching, and partly I think because my body is fighting this infection. By yesterday, my hand was looking much worse, so I went to the doctor and got a prescription for antibiotics. Today it was less red but more swollen, so I called and tried to get back in again. Instead they told me to go to the emergency room.

Luckily it wasn't as serious as my doctor's office thought it might be, and I was given a shot of antibiotics, prescriptions for steroids and Allegra (for the swelling and the itching, respectively), and sent on my way. We'll see how my hand looks tomorrow. I don't know why I wasn't given steroids the first time around, as it was pretty swollen then, too.

Anyway, I've been missing out on a lot of barn time during this entire ordeal. I did get out there on Tuesday for a session with my trainer, but I was crabby and uncomfortable and had her ride instead of me. Panama did quite well, and even did a little jumping over a low cross rail.

Wednesday, however, I was worse, so I went out to the barn to take off Panama's sheet and came right home afterward.

Today I had another session with my trainer, but I let her know I wasn't up to it. I told her she could work Panama without me, but if she couldn't that was okay too. She called me after her session with him to tell me that she's lunged him over all the cross country jumps at the barn, and that he was doing quite well. There were a couple that he wanted to stop and sniff first, but she said overall he liked the jumping quite a bit. She said she thinks that he and I can start working on jumping if I want.

It's all good news, of course, but I'm disappointed to have missed out on something so major in his training. Hopefully my hand will be back to normal in time for next week's lessons!



At April 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Blogger Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What a bummer. The burn sounds serious to me.

At April 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Blogger Katharine Swan said...

NM, the burn itself wasn't bad -- it was the infection and whatnot that cropped up afterward that knocked me on my butt. The irony is that the burn was almost healed by that point. I guess I learned my lesson -- next time I get burned (if there is a next time) I am going to use burn cream to help heal it faster and prevent infection.


Post a Comment

<< Home