Saturday, January 16, 2010

Recovery time

On Thursday's post about my dumbest fall ever, Nuzzling Muzzles commented that it wasn't falling she feared, but the recovery time.

Ain't that the truth. I took 3 Motrin Thursday afternoon, 3 more Friday morning after I nearly passed out shortly after I got out of bed, and 3 late last night to get me through the end of the day. (I'd been doing pretty well for most of the day, but toward the end of the night my leg started getting very fatigued.)

Forty-eight hours after my fall, I'm in considerably less pain — no Motrin at all today — but my knee is feeling pretty stiff. Also my left leg seems to have forgotten how to move naturally when I walk, so I end up moving like I'm lugging around a wooden leg. We've been out and about a lot today, and I'm extremely self conscious about how I must look.

With any luck, though, it'll continue improving quickly. At this rate I think I should have some more mobility back tomorrow. I'll be looking forward to it!

In other updates, I think my cat — who had started eating again briefly — is once again not eating on his own. And one of our dogs is having some recurring bowel problems; we took her to the vet again today. One of my mom's cats is sick too, and I spent an hour or two with her in the kitty emergency room late last night. Amazing how it all happens at once, isn't it?

All this to say that although quite a few of you have sent in wonderful, moving horse stories, I didn't do the drawing for the book last night, as I'd planned. It's now looking like I won't get to it until tomorrow, so look for an announcement of the winner then!



At January 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Blogger jane augenstein said...

So sorry your knee is so sore, I hate the after effects of horse related accidents! Hope things are on the mend again....sorry to hear about the sick fur babies. Knock on wood, no one here, two legged or four are ill.
Get well soon!

At January 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Blogger Veronica Foale said...

I think that is why I've been so nervous about riding anymore. A relatively simple fall left me with a dislocated shoulder (not such a big deal for me) and I'm terrified of having something worse happen. I don't bounce so much as I sort of crumple.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Like now even.

At January 17, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Blogger Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It usually takes a day before you really feel the bruising, and the second day is the worst. It's all uphill from here. That's terrible about all the animals getting sick at once. It seems our Corgi has been battling to stay alive her entire life. We've spent a fortune on hospital bills and surgeries. We found out that her breeder stopped breeding, because her puppies kept dying. Something bad in the genes. She brings so much joy to our family and she is my husband's little girl, so we can't let anything bad happen to her. Every time she starts showing signs of being sick again, I let out a groan.

At January 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

get some arnica. Better than any drug for bruises, sprains, strains etc.
My verification is hangin

At January 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Blogger Katharine Swan said...

Going in reverse order today:

Sydney, I looked it up and arnica appears to be used topically for bruising and muscle soreness. Unfortunately, I don't have much of either, indicating that the injury is probably to the joint and not to the muscles. Yippee.

In any case, I'm no longer taking Motrin, and although I'm still rather stiff and there is the occasional pain when I move a certain way, most of the soreness is gone and I'm getting around much better. I'm still a long ways from 100 percent, but I'll take it!

NM, this wasn't like the normal sore muscles from a fall. Later the same day as the fall and the day after were the worst. Yesterday was much better, and today is marginally better than yesterday. But I know what you mean, and usually 2 days later is the worst for me, too.

As for your corgi -- poor girl. I respect your devotion to her though, particularly because I'm the same way with my pets. I'll do anything to keep them healthy and with me a little longer!

Veronica, really, you crumple? I usually roll. I suppose as many times as I've fallen, it's amazing I haven't become more nervous about it, but I don't think much about it. In fact, the first thing I did after I fell on Thursday was to saddle Panama and get back on for a real ride. I may ride today, too, though I am cautious enough to want Michael to go with me -- in case I get myself into a situation I can't get back out of. ;o)

Jane, thank you so much for the well wishes. I'm getting better, slowly but surely. I guess I was owed a bad fall, since the last two have been pretty harmless. Oh well!


Post a Comment

<< Home