Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Getting kicked out of the barn, part 2

After being told Sunday that I was getting kicked out of the barn, I canceled my ride in order to look for someplace to take my horse. I had until 5:00 pm to move Panama, which only gave me about six hours, and I didn't have either a health certificate (which is typically required to be accepted at a new barn) or access to a trailer.

I started out by checking into one of the barns within walking distance of my soon-to-be-former barn. They required a health certificate, and since it was not quite noon, I could have gotten the vet in on an emergency call to get it. However, the barn wasn't really what I wanted — too expensive and I wouldn't have been able to continue to use my own trainer — so I decided to keep looking.

In the meantime, Michael had been looking online since I texted him with the news, and he had found a residential horse property near us that was boarding. We went and saw it, and although it really isn't much more than someone's big backyard, it was our best option so far.

After that, we checked out a barn around the corner from where I was getting kicked out of. There weren't any signs, but I saw a woman riding in the arena and stopped to talk to her. It turned out it was a self care barn, but they didn't have any room. However, the woman's boyfriend — who unofficially runs the place for the owner — thought there was a chance they could get me in, even if it was temporary.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't know until a little after 4 pm, which was cutting it a bit close for my tastes. By the time 4:00 rolled around, I was a nervous wreck — and it didn't help that the manager called me around then and gleefully informed me that if we didn't move Panama by 5 pm, she would have a transport company come and haul him away. We went back to the self care barn and waited for the couple to return.

When the guy arrived, he told us he wasn't able to get us in for another day or two. Michael decided to go back to our barn without me and try to talk the manager into giving us at least one more day, but that failed miserably. So we called up the guy with the residential property, and the guy at the self care barn said he'd trailer Panama there.

Instead of loading Panama up at our old barn, and letting the watchful eyes of the manager and owner stress us all out (including Panama), we simply walked him up the street to the self care barn and loaded him up there. He actually loaded reasonably well for me, particularly considering it was windy (which freaks him out) and he knew something was wrong (which really freaks him out).

We delivered Panama to his new home without incident. Once he was in the corral, safe and sound, I felt such relief! He seemed happy, too, partly because by some miracle another horse from our previous barn (the one I left in December) is being boarded there as well. I've been checking on him frequently, and so far he appears to be adjusting well. I'm heading over there soon, actually, and will post an update when I get back.



Post a Comment

<< Home